Output a parts list to a comma delimited text file

megnin

I'm making a parts ordering tool that will generate a list of parts. I'm made it put the parts list in another sheet listing each part and part# on a separate row.

Now they want the parts list in an exportable format listing all the parts and part#s in a single cell as a comma delimited list.

The problem is that they also want the tool compatable with Excel '95 which can only hold 255 characters in a single cell.

Is there a way to generate a text file with the parts list in a continuous comma delimited format?

The tool will have various combo boxes etc. to select the parts and I need them populated into the list as (or after the fact if it's easier) they are selected.

Thanks for any advice!!
David
megnin@nortelnetworks.com

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Doesn't saving the sheet of extracted parts & part Nos in CSV (comma delimited) format (Save As CSV) achieve what you're after?

BigC

Upvote 0
Hi Perthite,

As I understand it you want to merge two columns into a third column with a comma delimiter in between.

If that's the case then I think the following will work.
With column a = description, column b = number, and column c = combination of a and b with a delimiter.

C1=A1&","&B1

Hope I've understood the problem correctly.

Cheers

Peter

Upvote 0
As I mentioned, I need the output in a single cell or possibly a text file with a simple string of parts separated by commas.

The tool it needs to be imported into will not take a spreadsheet or a column.

Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0
Oh, I know how to put the parts list in a single cell, but to be compatable with Excel '95 I would have to keep it under 255 characters. Since the list would surly exceede 255 characters I think my solution is to ouput it into the text file containing a simple string of parts separated by commas, no line feeds or anything else.

I don't know how to make Excel create a text file.

Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back