output matched string value - vlookup multiple instances

doug firr

Board Regular
I need the zip codes associated with a list of nine metro areas that I have. Examples of strings in my list are "Philadelphia", "Baltimore" etc.

I also have a table with two columns - zip codes and associated metro area of each Zip code for the entire USA.

What I'd like to do is have a table with the columns:

Metro Area (my 9 metro areas) | Zip Codes

Rather than using filters or pivots, is there a way to lookup my metro areas against the USA wide list and then output each zipcode that matches that string?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Can you show us how your data is laid out? It seems like a straight forward lookup task, unless im missing something.

Upvote 0
I need the zip codes associated with a list of nine metro areas that I have. Examples of strings in my list are "Philadelphia", "Baltimore" etc.

I also have a table with two columns - zip codes and associated metro area of each Zip code for the entire USA.

Rather than using filters or pivots, is there a way to lookup my metro areas against the USA wide list and then output each zipcode that matches that string?

Would this...

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/231882-vlookup-return-all-matches.html#post1133916

work for you?

Upvote 0
Thats quite a forumula in that link! Was hoping for something more compact. I'm avoiding autofilter because I would like the work to be traceabile throughout the worksheet

Upvote 0
Thats quite a forumula in that link! Was hoping for something more compact. I'm avoiding autofilter because I would like the work to be traceabile throughout the worksheet

If you want to list the values from just one field (e.g., zip codes), the already quoted link provides what you need.
If you want to list the values of two or more fields, you'll need something like:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/307832-multiple-vlookups.html#post1511354 (post #3).

Note that these are standard formula systems.

Upvote 0

Is something like this what you had in mind:

Lookup when there are multiple instances of the lookup value<br />
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2696961&postcount=3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back