Overlapping PivotTable

c20916

Ok this spreadsheet I have is driving me crazy. It's a large workbook and has a lot of tabs and different pivot tables and charts. however whenever I need to make a change to the sheet to either add or subtract a machine that we are tracking, and I go to refresh the pivot table, I get an error that says Excel was unable to update the PivotTable named PivotTable2 because it would have overlapped another PivotTable.

I have tried putting PivotTable2 in it's own tab, i have tried deleting PivotTable2, I have tried moving the table, creating more space, and I have even tried deleting the tab that PivotTable2 was on and when I try and refresh another Pivot Table on the workbook it gives me the same error, even though I deleted PivotTable2. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this error? I'm not sure what else to do.

1639522250276.png

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
You might want to update your profile to show which version of Excel you are running.
I am running 365 and the dialogue box in that version tells you which sheet the Pivot is on.
The PivotTable numbering has a scope of sheet so PivotTable2 could exist on more that one sheet and I suspect it is not the one you think it is.
If you are refreshing a specific Pivot and not "All" you are looking for a pivot on another sheet using the same Pivot Table cache.
If you are doing a refresh all it could be any other PivotTable

I would suggest that you run this macro from the contextures site:
List Sheets with Multiple Pivot Tables
It will create a new sheet listing Pivots but only for those sheets that have more than one pivot table.

What you are looking for is another PivotTable2 on a different sheet (probably with the same Cache no) and is above or to the left on another pivot table (based on the ranges that appear in the summary).

If you can't work it out at that point show me the output of the macro.

Upvote 0
You might want to update your profile to show which version of Excel you are running.
I am running 365 and the dialogue box in that version tells you which sheet the Pivot is on.
The PivotTable numbering has a scope of sheet so PivotTable2 could exist on more that one sheet and I suspect it is not the one you think it is.
If you are refreshing a specific Pivot and not "All" you are looking for a pivot on another sheet using the same Pivot Table cache.
If you are doing a refresh all it could be any other PivotTable

I would suggest that you run this macro from the contextures site:
List Sheets with Multiple Pivot Tables
It will create a new sheet listing Pivots but only for those sheets that have more than one pivot table.

What you are looking for is another PivotTable2 on a different sheet (probably with the same Cache no) and is above or to the left on another pivot table (based on the ranges that appear in the summary).

If you can't work it out at that point show me the output of the macro.
Perfect that worked, and you're correct there was another pivot table 2 hidden on another tab.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back