Overlaying vertical bands on a line plot

jbortfeld

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm trying to graph an economic data series (line plot) and want to overlay shaded bands that will indicate recession periods. So in the first column I have the dates, the second column is my data series and the third column is a series of binary numbers where 0 indicates no recession and 1 indicates a recession.

Is there a good way to overlay the recession bands on the data plot. I've used the line/column on two axes option but it's not the greatest.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You could do something similar to the line column, but I'd start from scratch:

Make your chart with two line series. Select the series comprised of 0/1, and on the chart menu, select chart type, and choose the 100% stacked column type (top right sub type option). Double click the column series, pick a light gray fill and no border on the Patterns tab, on the Options tab, change the gap width to 0, and on the Axis tab, choose Secondary. Double click the secondary Y axis (right of chart), change the scale to min=0 and max=1 and make sure the min and max auto boxes are unchecked; on the patterns tab choose none for line, tick marks, and tick labels.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back