Page Layout view differs from print preview

Jubinell

Board Regular
Hi,

Is there a reason why what you see/the order of things in Page Layout view is not what actually will print?

I'm creating a survey form in Excel and encounter the following discrepancy:

I type a long text in some cell, say A29. In Page Layout View it stretches to to cell L29 but does not go past it. So I go ahead, skip a cell and drew a box around cell N29. Now when I go to Print Preview this texts stretches all the way into the center of box, overriding the left boundary of the box.

What's the problem here? Do I have to keep on checking Print Preview to make sure things print right? I thought the Page Layout view was supposed to fix that annoyance in previous versions of Excel.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi,

Is there a reason why what you see/the order of things in Page Layout view is not what actually will print?

I'm creating a survey form in Excel and encounter the following discrepancy:

I type a long text in some cell, say A29. In Page Layout View it stretches to to cell L29 but does not go past it. So I go ahead, skip a cell and drew a box around cell N29. Now when I go to Print Preview this texts stretches all the way into the center of box, overriding the left boundary of the box.

What's the problem here? Do I have to keep on checking Print Preview to make sure things print right? I thought the Page Layout view was supposed to fix that annoyance in previous versions of Excel.
Try adjusting the column width of Column A so the text doesn't appear to spill over and/or use the format menu to wrap the text in cell A29.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe.

The text doesn't spill in page layout view or page break view, but does in print preview, hence my plethora of questions.

Any other ideas beside wrapping-texts?

Also...any ideas on why this behavior is occurring?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back