Pairing and eliminating duplicates

RedJeep1970

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm attempting to setup a tournament for Pickleball. We have Club 1 (with 12 players) coming over to play Club 2 (also with 12 players.)

I'm trying to match up 2 players ( a two-some) from each Club to play against 2 players ( a two-some) from the other club, in as many unduplicated match ups as possible. These games would be played concurrently, but probably only 6 games at a time, due to limited courts. I broke my spreadsheet into "Rounds". If you'll notice none of the "two-somes" (from either Club) ever play with the same partner, or against the exact "two-some" they had previously played against. I'm sure there are more possibilities, but I did it manually and was getting cross eyed.

I did some checking/sorting and although the exact same two-somes don't repeat playing against the exact same two-somes... there are some instances where individual players (from previous two-somes) DO play against each other, but with different partners. For example, Player 1 plays against player 14 three times and plays against player 24 three times throught the 9 Rounds.

As mentioned... I did this manually, but would like to do it with formulas (RAND) maybe (and others) and create as many ROUNDS and have no repeats of two-somes or repeats of opponents.
Is this possible?

Also... it would be nice to have the spreadsheet be dynamic, where the Clubs may only have 10 players each or 8 players each. Maybe a (number of Club Players) reference cell for the formulas.

I've attached a screen capture, close to what I'm looking for. TIA. Steve
24PlayersPaired.jpg

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi
What's the difference?...excuse my ignorance
Steve
Well, to answer your original question..."Did I get anywhere". Yes, but I couldn't figure out the exact equation to eliminate ALL duplicates.
I strong armed it and was able to significantly REDUCE duplicates.
Here's a link to how it works:

Upvote 0
Hi
Great news , i just found an app that does what i need....round robin assistant....let me know if it works for you?

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back