Paren-n-paren replaced by thumbs-down emoji

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
When I type parenthesis n parenthesis -- I'll try with additional spaces ( n ) -- it is replaced by a thumbs-down emoji, to wit (n) .

If it matters, I am using Firefox 79.0. But I don't believe I'm the only one affected by this behavior. I suspect that is why the OP reposted (see response #2) in the thread at Finding unknown variable (n) - time period - through excel. .

Yes, it is standard thumbs-down emoji, certainly not a bug or browser rendering issue.

Any code / function in the content should be actually wrapped as BB code by using the corresponding code icons on the toolbar. In fact, it is best to use BB codes because it helps any post to look more clear.
1599687114248.png

In this particular case, inline code BB code is the answer.
1599686861076.png

I changed the post by using the inline code button, and it looks better now.
"I want to find (n) value"

It depends how much a member tries to make their post look better, and put effort for that. I wish everybody use the proper tagging but we can't force using tags other than giving information when we see something like this by considering they might not know how to use the editor tools.

Another option is to use 'plain' tags [plain](n)[/plain]

Where can I find a complete list of BB codes supported by this forum?

I looked at several sites that turned up in to Google search, but none mentions "plain".

Moreover, none mentions subfeatures of table tags; for example, TR="bgcolor: #rrggbb", where rrggbb is hex.

The "BB Codes" help page (PLAIN is mentioned):

TABLE tags are not working with extra styles as you typed above in MrExcel Message Board. Whatever you would add will be only garbage code.

We recommend using the official mini-sheet tool in MrExcel Message Board: XL2BB.

In fact, almost all BB codes are available on the editor toolbar (except plain, media, and spoiler as I can remember), so you actually don't need to type them manually.

The "BB Codes" help page (PLAIN is mentioned): BB codes

Thanks. Shoulda thought of looking there first. Klunk!

TABLE tags are not working with extra styles as you typed above

Right! Surprised. It does work in excelforum.com. But I thought my original notes were for mrexcel.com/board. I guess not!

almost all BB codes are available on the editor toolbar (except plain [....]

It's really "plain" that I need most. I am "always" typing things of the form (n). Gosh, who doesn't?! (Rhetorical.)

I was just curious about other BB codes, for my edification.

Thanks again.

I thought my original notes were for mrexcel.com/board. I guess not!
It was working like that in the MrExcel Message Board before the major migration last year, but we decided to not mess with HTML anymore. It basically kills the portability and also breaks the entire page structure. That's one of the reasons that we didn't have a proper mobile version of the board for a long while. Now, everything is just as it is supposed to be in all devices.

Thanks again.
You're welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back