Parent Child Structure in Excel

bhalbach

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am building a worksheet as an estimating program. What I would like to do is use forms to build a structure and store the inputs to sheets.
I would have a Estimate Form that I would enter the particulars and assign a unique estimate #.
From this Estimate Form I would like to launch a Item Form (command button) to input OR Add Billable Items with a unique item # and store the data on work sheets, these items need to be attached to the Estimate #.
From the Billable Item # I would like to Launch a Task Form (command button) to attach Multiple Tasks to the Billable Item # from Task Templates OR New Template with a Unique Item #. With ability to add or delete components within the Task Sheet.
- Within the Task Template there are Components...Labour, Equipment, Materials, Subcontract, Rentals, Trucks. These Components will have Categories....for instance labour could be Construction Labour, Admin Labour and these would further have Regular Labour, Overtime Labour, Burden. Likewise for Material Categories could be concrete, aggregate, rebar which could further have a material component and a freight component. Same for the other Components...Equipment, Subcontract, Rentals and Trucks.
- There would be calculations on the Task Template to accomplish the outputs for each Components and store in work sheets.
This process could have a 100+ Billable Items with the same process as above with 20+ Tasks which contain Components, etc. All being part of the Unique Estimate #.
Then repeat the whole process for another Estimate.

What is the best way to approach this so that I can have all the Input Data and Output Data for each estimate stored in multiple work sheets and be clearly attached to the Estimate #?

I plan to use VBA as much as makes sense and also use calculations.

I'm sure that is easy to accomplish but I just don't know where to approach it from. I also contemplated Access but I am not very familiar with it.

My biggest question is how to have all the data attached to the Estimate...I'm assuming I could use the Estimate #.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back