Parse numeric substring, generate accounting key

SomeLinuxGuy

Hello,
I'm a full time software developer, helping out a charity with their Access (.accdb) database in my spare time. There I need to work with an existing database that connects basic entities from one table with actions to perform on them in another table; everything is properly linked (1 entity -> n actions) and works as expected.
Now I have to add a code following a specific structure extracted from existing columns to the actions to make bookkeeping happy, and I encountered some basically simple issues I have problems solving with Access. I do not own a copy of Access (or Windows, for that matter), so I can't play around too much exploring the Access "API". Any help is appreciated, especially if it uses as little VBA as possible (where do I put that in the first place? in addition, commands are localised so VBA-solutions are of limited use on my regional system anyways); I'm fine with extensive SQL, though.

The rows used to calculate the key will contain, among others:

Code:
{
  internal_region_id: Integer,
  human_readable_entity_id: String.matching(/\w{2}\d+/),
  date: Date
}

The key will be a string value, constructed as follows: `<constant prefix><string from internal_region_id><calculated key string from human_readable_entity_id><last two digits of year from date>`.
  1. Will simply using the concat symbol & be enough to concatenate a string with a numeric value or will I need to to string conversion first?
  2. The calculated key value will be a starting number plus a number that must be parsed from the substring of another column's value. The column in question has a two-letter prefix followed by the numeric part without separators. Basically I need to calculate something like `100 + getTheNumericPartOf("ab123")` where the number of digits may vary. Reading through the documentation of string functions I could not find anything that would remove n chars from the beginning of a string or match a regex, so what would be the simplest way of getting that numeric part?
  3. Getting the last two digits of the year (date value) should be easy by reading up a little on the string format functions, right?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi, in MSAccess the MID function would get the last digits of a string skipping the first two:
Code:
SELECT Mid(MyField,3) FROM MyTable

Last two digits of the year could in fact be the same (Right() would also work):
Code:
SELECT mid(year(Date()),3) FROM MyTable

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back