Partial Matching In Excel?

kstuffer

I've recently taken up a project for my internship that I thought would be fairly simple. Basically I have a list of companies with email addresses and another list without. I want to match the companies with email addresses with the companies without based on their name, then combine the data. I then realized that some company names were written differently. Heres an example

List A | List B
Company abc | XyZ co.
Company xyz | RJS and Company
RJS & Co. | ABC company

What would be the best approach to solving this? I was thinking something that would match words then spit out a match percentage then anything about a certain percentage would count as a match.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
hi, and welcome to the board

is VBA an option? either a UDF (a custom function thru VBA), or just a macro

Upvote 0
hi, and welcome to the board

is VBA an option? either a UDF (a custom function thru VBA), or just a macro

Well. I can get by in excel but am no means an expert. I can read programming code, never tried vba though. I mean as long as it works I'm not opposed. Whats your strategy?

Upvote 0
no worries - you dont have to know VBA, thats what this forum is for :)

give me some time, i will write it up

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aladin's post is very useful. try it out and let us know how it goes. seems pretty straightforward.

regarding your other Q about what excel can do for you in life, etc - depends on what you are planning on doing. the company i work for, i would say 99% of professional employees dont really know much about Excel, but they do get by, somehow. however, knowing Excel can speed up things for you a great deal, thus providing a "competitive advantage" if u will in a corporate world. anything that has to do with data, manipulation, analysis, etc - you will see how much faster you will do things knowing excel well. you will just stand out in a crowd.

and as for learning - i would say this forum is your best bet. keep reading, posting your problems, and also try solving other peoples problems, regardless of how limited your knowledge may be at this point. in couple months you will know excel better than most full-time employees in wherever you're interning, i promise

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back