passing a frame name to a subroutine

medic5678

Board Regular
I'm trying to create a subroutine (actually two)

The first finds the coordinates of the frame and stores the value, then sets the values I need to explode the frame size.

Sub displayframe(frm As msforms.Frame)

With frm
ht = .Height
wdth = .Width
Tp = .Top
lft = .Left

.Height = 300
.Width = 550
.Top = 140
.Left = 50

frm.Visible = True

End With

End Sub

And the second restores the original coordinates:

Sub restoreframe(frm As msforms.Frame)
With frm
.Height = ht
.Width = wdth
.Top = Tp
.Left = lft

End Sub

I'm calling the subroutines with:
displayframe (Me.Neuroframe)
restoreframe (Me.Neuroframe)

I'm getting the error "type mismatch"

What am I doing wrong here? I'm creating subroutine typed for a frame and I'm passing it a frame. Thanks to all who reply!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
It is probably caused by how or where you are declaring your variables
- declare above the first procedure in the module as type Double

This works for me

Code:
Option Explicit

Private ht As Double, wdth As Double, tp As Double, lft As Double

Sub displayframe(frm As msforms.Frame)
    With frm
        ht = .Height
        wdth = .Width
        tp = .Top
        lft = .Left

.Height = 300
        .Width = 550
        .Top = 140
        .Left = 50

frm.Visible = True
    End With
End Sub

Sub restoreFrame(frm As msforms.Frame)
    With frm
        .Height = ht
        .Width = wdth
        .Top = tp
        .Left = lft
    End With
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Call displayframe(xxx)
End Sub
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Call restoreFrame(xxx)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. What fixed it was using the word "Call". Not entirely sure when you need than and when you don't.

Upvote 0
When you use Call, you must enclose the arguments in parens. When you don't use Call, you typically do not use parens; it has a specific meaning when you do (you can ask if you're curious), and you can't enclose an object variable in them.

Upvote 0
When you use Call, you must enclose the arguments in parens. When you don't use Call, you typically do not use parens; it has a specific meaning when you do (you can ask if you're curious), and you can't enclose an object variable in them.

Okay, I'm curious. what does it mean when you do, when should you? I'm a newbie sorting through this, but I'd like to learn to do things "the right way" if possible.

Upvote 0
When you invoke a Sub with Call, you must use parens around the arguments:

Code:
Call MySub(arg1, arg2)

When you assign the result of a function to a variable, you must use parens around the arguments:

Code:
myResult = MyFunc(arg1, arg2)

If you want to pass arguments ByVal (by value, a copy of the variable) or ByRef (by reference, a pointer to the variable), according to the procedure's signature, you don't include parens:

Code:
MySub arg1, arg2
MyFunc arg1, arg2

If you want to pass arguments ByVal, irrespective of the procedure’s signature (which won't work for a procedure expecting an array (because arrays are always passed by reference) or an object), you enclose the argument in parens, or an extra set of parens. In the examples below, arg1 is passed by value, and arg2 according to the procedure’s signature:

Code:
Call MySub((arg1), arg2)
myResult = MyFunc((arg1), arg2)
MySub (arg1), arg2
MyFunc (arg1), arg2

That’s because when you add parens around an argument that doesn't require them, the argument is evaluated, and the result of the evaluation is passed to the procedure. It means the argument is passed by value regardless of how the procedure requested it.

That also explains why you can't use parens around two or more arguments when they are not required; the evaluation of (arg1) may be meaningful, but the evaluation of (arg1, arg2) is not. That's why this generates an error:

Code:
Msgbox (Prompt:=arg1, Title:=arg2, Buttons:=arg3)

That also explains why if you call a procedure expecting a range with parens where none are required, you get a type mismatch error; because the evaluation of a range is a Variant, or Variant/Array.

You can't pass a Variant ByRef as a static type (Long, String, ...).

You can pass a statically-typed variable ByRef as a Variant, and the called procedure can modify its value with data of the appropriate (or coercible) type.

So: Parens means completely different things according to context. VBA might have used some other bookends (curly braces, square brackets, whatever) to indicate enclosing a list of arguments versus a call for evaluation, but it didn't.

Since objects other than Range objects are always passed ByRef, you can never put unnecessary parens around an object variable. Chip Pearson (http://www.cpearson.com/excel/byrefbyval.aspx) explains the meaning of ByRef and ByVal for an object variable:

The ByRef and ByVal modifiers indicate how the reference is passed to the called procedure. When you pass an object type variable to a procedure, the reference or address to the object is passed -- you never really pass the object itself. When you pass an object ByRef, the reference is passed by reference and the called procedure can change the object to which that reference refers to. When an object is passed ByVal, a copy of the reference (address) of the object is passed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for that detailed explanation. I will reread this several times until it sinks into my brain :).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back