Password Protect Tabs (or only able to view a certain tab)

Literae

Hello all!

New user to Excel (previously Google Sheets). First of all, I have tried to check other posts that are similar and google, but don't think I have found exactly what I am looking for as each seem different. I currently have a spreadsheet to review Pay Rises, Overtime etc. I have divided it all into tabs for each department. At the moment the spreadsheet just has an unlock password to access everything. What I would like to do is:

1. Password Protect each tab (department) so that when a Team Leader goes into the file, they can only view their tab with a their own unique Password.
2. Would like to know that if this is manageable, would that affect my viewing of the spreadsheet (edit freely etc) or could I set like a "Master Password" that bypasses all? (Optional)

What I have & would like to do:

Summary Tab: Lock 2 cells from editing (Sorted - They can view this as links certain employees, but cannot edit 2 cells)
Team 1: Only can view with unique Password (Have locked from editing, but need to lockout viewership)
Team 2: Only can view with unique Password (Have locked from editing, but need to lockout viewership)
Team 3: Only can view with unique Password (Have locked from editing, but need to lockout viewership)
Team 4: Only can view with unique Password (Have locked from editing, but need to lockout viewership)
Team 5: Only can view with unique Password (Have locked from editing, but need to lockout viewership)
Pay Rise History: Hidden (Sorted - Was not an issue, but just to show what tabs I had)
Overtime: Hidden (Sorted - Was not an issue, but just to show what tabs I had)
Skill Matrix: Hidden (Sorted - Was not an issue, but just to show what tabs I had)
Attendance: Hidden (Sorted - Was not an issue, but just to show what tabs I had)

Recently moved to Excel from Google Sheets so feels like I am back to basics. I have never done coding and seen a few posts about Visual Basic in regards to this sort of issue.

Thanks,
Dan

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi,
If you are storing personal sensitive data my suggestion would be do not use Excel - Security is weak & any competent user can bypass your efforts to protect the data.

If you do want to continue then have a look here: Password Protect Viewing for Multiple Worksheets
#Post 3 - which may go in right direction & help you with your project

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,
If you are storing personal sensitive data my suggestion would be do not use Excel - Security is weak & any competent user can bypass your efforts to protect the data.

If you do want to continue then have a look here: Password Protect Viewing for Multiple Worksheets
#Post 3 - which may go in right direction & help you with your project

Dave
Hi Dave,

Cheers for that. I will have a look into it tonight. In regards to the information, its just dates really (days off, date of last pay rise, overtime hours). If anything it was just to avoid team vs team politics with certain teams given overtime where needed and someone to moan that their team did not require overtime. No pay data or figures to worry about so if someone did look at another team, that's all they could really moan about :D

However after I posted this I was discussing it with a colleague and we have just decided the team leaders will access it from the meeting room screen I would be in control of instead of issuing the sheet out on the network. I will indeed be looking into adding this though for future reference and adding to my skill set etc so thank you very much for your assistance.

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0
Hi,
just be mindful excel password security is very weak

As an idea another approach you can consider would be to filter each managers data from your master workbook in to template workbook - this again would require VBA development but managers would only have their data to view.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back