Password protected cells do not show values

Brutium

Board Regular
HELP!!!!!

I have been working on this file since last December. I thought that everything was working fine, but now I realized that whenever I try to bring in values from other sheets within the workbook, these values do not show. I password protected my workbook, and the only means I have to bring in the values is if I unprotect the workbook. I cannot have this since I am afraid my colleagues would be messing up the spreadsheet. What can I do?
I have used VBA!!!

Brutium

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
You might consider creating a macro tied to a "Refresh Data" button. The macro steps would be:
1) Unprotect the worksheet
2) Refresh the linked cells
3) Reprotect the worksheet.
If you fear a third party messing with such a button, you can also password protect its action.
Chuck

Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you are trying to do...

What do you mean 'bring in values from other sheets within the workbook' ?

Not sure if it is the solution to your problem or not, but note that when your sheet is unprotected and you select some cells and do right-click, format cells... There is a tab for "protection" and it has checkboxes on it for "locked" and "hidden" ...If you uncheck hidden, then you can see the formulas in the cell. Also when you protect the sheet there is a list of checkboxes for what the user can and cannot do on the sheet. That controls whether or not they can select locked cells...

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick reply.
I am afraid this is not possible. I already have a button that creats worksheets and I do not think another button is feasible. Any other possibility maybe?

What about putting some code in my macro?

Upvote 0
You can create as many buttons as you wish. As long as you assign each a different macro, there is no restriction to have multiple buttons.
Chuck

Upvote 0
Thank you Taigovinda for youor reply.

I am aware of the cell format, but I do not think this solves my problem. I need to protect the whole sheet, and still be able to bring in values from the the other sheets.

Brutium

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back