Password protecting a specific column and having an "enter password" prompt display

juniormary

Hi everyone,

I am looking to password protect a specific column in Excel. When someone wants to edit that column, I would like an "enter password" box to appear so those who have the password can easily enter it right there.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

RickXL

MrExcel MVP
In Excel 2013, you select the Review tab and then select the option: Allow Users to Edit Ranges. You need to select the column you want to protect and enter the password there.

Then you need to select the Protect Sheet option and protect the whole sheet with a password - probably a different one.

Then when someone wants to change a protected cell they will get a password prompt.
Only prople with the password for the sheet will be able to change the password.

Don't forget the passwords!

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky736

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...