Password protection query (I don't need to break one myself)

AndrewRossington

Board Regular
I have an excel document that has password protection.

Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet.

This goes out to over 300 people soon, and I just wondered how secure it is right now. I've done a quick search on the internet and found software available for purchase that can remove passwords.

My question: Does anyone know of software that is free for download, how easy it is to find, and if it's good enough for me to worry that my spreadsheet security could be compromised by a relatively inexperienced computer user. (I don't need to know what it is)

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can add additional security to block editing?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
The visual baler program is a cracking idea - it just seems to be a shame that the interface just looks so dated.

DominicB

Upvote 0
Visual Baler is old ....123 era. I'm not sure if it works with recent Excel versions.

http://the-ciba.com/vbaler/support/spreadsheet.html
Visual Baler can not read XLS formatted files (EXCEL) - if you want to read an Excel file you would need to save the Excel file as a WK1 or WK3 (lotus format), CSV (comma separated values) or TXT (text file). Excel is able to save to all of these formats using a file save as.

When you save the file as a WK3 (lotus format) the macros will be saved and visible but they will not run (work) inside of Visual Baler without your converting them to the Visual Baler Format.

Visual Baler does not support Excel macros, functions, buttons, and add ons. This means you will have to rewrite anything you have done in Excel to match the Visual Baler format.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back