1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi all
I'm very lost and looking for advice.
I have several workbooks that are password protected - meaning I have to enter a password just to open them. The password is simple, "abc".

I get frustrated with opening spreadsheets then having to divert myself to the keyboard to type. Is there any way of automating this process within Excel? For example... I'd like to put some sort of code in my personal.xlsb, that runs every time I open a new workbook... it would essentially check if there is a 'Password to Open' situation, then it would attempt to enter the password "abc". Of course, if I ever opened a file with a different password, this code would simply fail - no big deal.

That's my theory. But I have no idea how to put it into practice - and I've been trying for a very long time.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Try this. You can assign the macro to a button on the toolbar,
Code:
[FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]Option Explicit

Sub OpenWokbook_ABC()

Const csMyPassword As String = "abc"

With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        If .Show = -1 Then
            Workbooks.Open Filename:=.SelectedItems(1), Password:=csMyPassword
        End If
    End With

End Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for this, this is a lot further than I've got alone. It's a good step. The only thing is, it takes time to find each file I want through the 'Open' dialogue... I have project folders all over a server, and I will work in one folder at a time, using multiple files from each folder... so I always just double-click to open, because using the software's Browse/Open function isn't practical. Is there a way of modifying this code to make it run every time I open a file my own way?

Upvote 0
Once you open the first file, the selected folder will be current folder and, therefore, successive calls to the macro will open the current folder to pick the files.

I think this is same as what you have described, or am I missing something?

Do you want to pre-set the initial folder?

Upvote 0
That is very true, but I still need to find that first file, just the very first time at least... and we're talking about project folders buried four, five, six levels down on a networked drive. I mean, right now I double-click on a file and I'm having to type a three letter password. It's the time that it takes me to enter three letters and press enter, that I am trying to cut down! I realise I'm asking a lot out of Excel : ). I really just want to be able to double-click on the file from Win Explorer and have Excel enter the password as it opens.

Your code is brilliant, I'm just wondering if I can expand it to do this... I don't know. What do you think? It's all about saving time.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Modify Mohammad's code to allow multiple selections. On how to do that search Excel VBA help for 'FileDialog' (w/o the quotes) then check the 'FileDialog.SelectedItems Property' help page.

That is very true, but I still need to find that first file, just the very first time at least... and we're talking about project folders buried four, five, six levels down on a networked drive. I mean, right now I double-click on a file and I'm having to type a three letter password. It's the time that it takes me to enter three letters and press enter, that I am trying to cut down! I realise I'm asking a lot out of Excel : ). I really just want to be able to double-click on the file from Win Explorer and have Excel enter the password as it opens.

Your code is brilliant, I'm just wondering if I can expand it to do this... I don't know. What do you think? It's all about saving time.
Thank you

Upvote 0
I really just want to be able to double-click on the file from Win Explorer and have Excel enter the password as it opens.
I think you cannot control this from within Excel as Excel events will receive control (called) after the workbook is opened, which means, in your case, the password is entered.

You may think of other scenarios on how to facilitate your work from within Excel and we can discuss further.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back