Paste data into a column without overriding data in that column

jjexcel28

I'd like to paste data from one column into the blank rows of another column; the second column does have some data in it but I don't want to overide that data when I paste into that column.

So I want the data from that I paste from the first column to paste into the blank cells in the second column in succession (regardless if the second column has preocuppied cells. Here's a visual example.

http://www.xyz000.info/projects/excel-example.gif

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
hold alt+f11, insert a new module (Insert\Module on menu bar), paste the below code, close the vba ide.

hold alt+f8, select the below macro named "FaroShuffle"

Code:
Sub FaroShuffle()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim LastRow As Long, i As Long, k As Long

LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

k = 5

For i = 5 To LastRow

Do Until Range("E" & k) = ""

k = k + 1

Loop

Range("E" & k) = Range("A" & i)

Next

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
jjexcel28

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assuming ...

1. Your sample with spokane in row 15 was a mistake (should have been in row 16?)

2. E5 and E6 already contain data.

... then maybe this.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CopyToBlanks()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ARange <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> ARange = Range("A5", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ARange<br>        Range("E5").End(xlDown).Offset(1).Value = c.Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Wow awesome kudos to you both --- one other thing - when running the macro, can blank fields in column A count as data? so if the column was

atlanta

detroit

spokane

instead of

atlanta
detroit
spokane

Can the blank cells be pasted into column E as well?

Upvote 0
This is quite different to your original question where you wanted the blank cells in the destination column filled. Now it appears you only want every second blank cell in the destination column filled. For example, 'Atlanta' (from A5) goes into the first blank cell (row 8). Then a blank (from A6) goes into the blank in row 13. But nothing goes into the blank in row 9?

Anyway, for the layout you have provided, this might do it:

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CopyToBlanks()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ARange <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, StartCell <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> ARange = Range("A5", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> StartCell = Range("E5")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ARange<br>        StartCell.End(xlDown).Offset(1).Value = c.Value<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> StartCell = StartCell.End(xlDown).<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN>(xlDown)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>End <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back