Paste entire sheet into another Workbook

DwinZly

Board Regular
I am having trouble with a seemingly easy transaction. The user is prompted to open an Excel sheet with data and select the entire worksheet before copying the data. Then they go to the macro workbook (different workbook) where they trigger the macro which should paste the data from the clipboard into the new workbook (followed by compiling etc.) The issue is that I can't get the data to paste from the clipboard into the new workbook. I have the below code, which returns "1004 - Paste Method of Worksheet class failed." Any help to resolve this seemingly easy problem is greatly appreciated.

VBA Code:
Sub CompileData()

Sheets("MB51 Data").Activate
    Cells.Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MB51 Data").Rows("1:2").Delete Shift:=-4162

End Sub

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi
I have done a bit of copy and paste between files, something when using "Activesheet" is that refers to the file you're currently focused on, so given you need to switch to a different workbook to trigger your macro it may be that the desired destination sheet can't be found. These things can be tricky to troubleshoot as stepping through the code does change the active file.
An option is to add the opening of the destination file to the macro, so you can then assign the destination file to a variable and address it specifically. Also you can assign a macro to a toolbar button. Create a custom toolbar and add a button that triggers the macro, this saves manually opening the file with the macros.
I have a file with all of my macros in it and have a bunch of buttons for triggering them. This can be handy as you expand on the creativity of vba.

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:
Sheets("MB51 Data").Cells(1,1).PasteSpecial
This is assuming that the users have already activated the destination workbook.
Normally when coding you would include the workbook in the code to save activating it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back