Paste Excel table to Word - are there limitations?

mlyn015

Hello,

I have been trying to paste special an excel table into Word as a Linked Table. The table is 17 rows x 14 columns, and contains text, numbers, formulas and dates. There are also four heading rows above the table I am copying (plus two blank columns on either side of the table).

No matter how I paste it, it is only pasting the first 10 columns or so even though I have copied the entire table. (even if i just paste as a simple picture!)

The word page format is landscape and I have plenty of space off to the right for the table to fit in once I have pasted it, however I have noticed if I increase the width on one of the excel rows, I'll get even fewer columns (say 5) into word.

Is there some kind of limitation going on here and what can I do about it?

Thanks,
Michael

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
In the Word document, drag the right border of the object box. That will stretch the box and allow more columns.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but the problem is not as simple as that - the issue is not the space in the word document or size of the table, but the fact that despite selecting & copying 14 columns, only 10 of them appear to paste across. If I drag the box out it simply stretches the fonts or makes the table bigger.

I should mention I am using Word/Excel 2000, so double clicking on the table takes me to Excel, and does not open up a mini Excel within Word, which I know is what can sometimes hide the data.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. After you double click on the table you should be able to drag the border of the mini Excel. It won't expand until after you exceed the spacing of each column.

Upvote 0
Thanks I know what you mean here - Problem is if I double click it takes me to Big/Normal Excel rather than "mini" excel - so I don't get that option to drag the excel borders wider... Maybe this is an issue with Word 2000??? Maybe ther is a way to force "mini" excel rather than to go out of word to "big" excel.???

Upvote 0
It must be a setting with the view in Word. Frustrating, I know.

That's all I can come up with.

Can someone else help?

Upvote 0
For the sake of a workaround... I have changed the font size in excel to 5 and made the column width smaller... This has allowed me to paste so I can see all the table...

Cheers
Michael

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back