Paste link data from CSV file Problems

mastbobby1

Hello,

Thanks for all who will help me out from this situation.

Scenario
I have a "cost.csv" file that contains the cost of the toys. The cost is show in $ with two decimal places i.e. $0.75
I created a new MS Excel 2010 workbook file named as "customers.xlsx" that has four columns i.e. Item, Cost, Order, [Total Amount] columns. I used the paste link command and the Cost column data is linked with the cost column in "cost.csv" file.

Problem
When I write order quantity in the order column and then try to use the following expression in [Total Amount] column i.e. "Cost * Order" then I received error due to following reason i.e. "Cost is a text value and Order is a numeric value and excel is unable to evaluate the expression." I have done it by first remove the $ sign from cost using RIGHT and LEN FUNCTIONS.

Now I want to change the format of "Cost" column i.e. I want to show the cost in Euro but not in $. Here I am stuck as I am trying to change the format of the Cost linked cell but unable to change it either I applied the new format, the text remains shown $0.75?

Is this the problem as data is coming from .csv file? If it is then how I can accomplish the task? Waiting for your quick response....

Thanks to all who will help me to solve this issue.................

Thanks,
Bobby.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi

Because you are using a csv file as the source data, links won't persist in your Excel file when the csv file is closed. You would be best advised to save the csv file as an Excel format file (e.g. xlsx).

Onto the next problem - this Cost column, try selecting the entire column (in the csv source file) and going Data>TextToColumns>Finish. This is a common trick to convert text values to numerics.

Upvote 0
Hi

Because you are using a csv file as the source data, links won't persist in your Excel file when the csv file is closed. You would be best advised to save the csv file as an Excel format file (e.g. xlsx).

Onto the next problem - this Cost column, try selecting the entire column (in the csv source file) and going Data>TextToColumns>Finish. This is a common trick to convert text values to numerics.

Dear Firefly,

Thanks for the quick response.

As far as the links persistance is concerned, its working in my scenario. But you have to open the source .csv first before opening the Excel file containing the link data.

Secondly, the problem is solved with your provided solution i.e. by using convertTextToColumn. Thanks once again.

Have a nice time.

Bobby.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back