paste on visible cells only

lserge

Hi guys,

I would appreciate a bunch if you could help me with the following issue. (it's excel 2007 I'm dealing with)

I have table with about 1k rows and 9 columns. It serves as a small db.
Each column contains some data in text format.
Using the automatic filter I filtered out sub-arrays based on one of the columns. So for example for Joe Doe I get 200 rows of data.

Now, I took this sub-array filtered out for Joe Doe, and copied only the visible cells to a new worksheet, say JD.xlsx. So now I have the JD.xlsx worksheet with 9 columns and 200 rows. Next, Joe Doe will add some info in this worksheet. All the info is added in columns 8 and 9. In the end he will send it back to me.

Once I get it back the problem starts. Ideally I would open the JD_completed.xlsx copy the 200 rows, go do my main worksheet(main.xlsx), filter out the rows meant for Joe Doe and paste it over. Well, it doesn't work this way.

Could you please suggest me an approach that does not require VBA?

Here is what I have tried:
- I found that the Open Office does work this way. Yet jumping from one software to another makes this approach quite cumbersome. So I would open JD_completed and main.xlsx in OO, copy the 200 rows table and paste it over the filtered entries of main.xlsx. Then I would close it and reopen it in MS Excel. Yet, there are compatibility issues, especially since on another sheet i am using the data from the table in various formulas.
- Second approach is the reference approach. I use the VLOOKUP function. To this end, for each row I compare the info from column 3(which is pretty much unique over the table, but might not be one day,and here is another potential weakness) in the main.xlsx file with the info in column 3 in JD_completed.xlsx. When matching I refer to the info from the same row for column 8 or 9. Again a shaky approach.

Still, I am looking for a easier approach since I have to demonstrate it to a bunch of people who are quite novice with excel. I would go with Open Office spreadsheet, but again I cannot force the guys to install it.

So is there anything out there that would allow for some sort of straight forward copy+paste process?

... and thank you for reading this long post

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Is it possible to add another column?

If so, I would suggest adding a unique ID (for example, the new column could show the row number). That way, you have something that will always be unique and you can perform a vlookup on this.

Upvote 0
Thx for the reply mcbetts.

I think i could add another column. It definitely helps.
another thing I was worried about is the reference to an external file i need to do for each of the sub-arrays.
Still I have a way around for the latest, which is again a "creative" fix. I was hoping to find smth rather simple and elegant.

But, honestly I am puzzled and disappointed that MS didn't include this option in the paste special section. It is quite intuitive that you would like to paste over the visible/sorted out cells. Open Office has this as default.

Upvote 0
Lserge, can you please tell me how to do this in Open Office? I use OO version 3 and I can't find the way :)

Thank you a lot...

Upvote 0
Lubomir, my OO version is 3.2.1. The process is quite intuitive. It is a matter of simple copy paste.
Try updating it and let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
Lserge, I was trying to paste over hidden cells and not over filtered cells. You can not paste over hidden cells but you CAN paste over filtered cells. I'm sorry, my misstake. Thank you for the info about Open Office. It helped me A LOT :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back