Paste Special Window opened using Keyboard shortcut not the active window

MJGANAHL

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
A couple of days ago on my work computer (Excel 2010), when I would open the Paste Special menu using the keyboard shortcut Alt+E+S, the window would open up, but it would not be the active window. It did not have a blue outline indicating it was the active window. I couldn't use either another keystroke ("V" to Paste Values) or the arrow keys to toggle between the Paste Special Choices. If I would somehow select the window (clicking with my mouse, Alt+tab, the windows key), then it would become active and I could use the menu normally. I have changed nothing that I'm aware of in the last couple of days (or the last couple of years for that matter) on my work computer and am baffled as to why Excel is acting this way. Would love to hear any suggestions! Thanks.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Not sure of the cause, another member had a problem with the same shortcut a few months back, although I don't think that it was the same problem.

I remember suggesting Ctrl Alt v, v as an alternative but the person who asked wasn't happy with that method so my apologies in advance if it's not what you need.

Another suggestion there was to use the context menu key then v, which I find less intuitive, but I think that is just down to the keyboard layout on my laptop.

Upvote 0
It's funny. Your shortcut does work every time. I'm not sure why the shortcut I've been using for the last 20 years has now stopped fully working. There is still something else going on, but I guess I will leave it for another time....and will have to teach myself a different shortcut!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why the shortcut I've been using for the last 20 years has now stopped fully working.
That makes 2 of us, your method works fine for me.

Have you have any updates recently, installed any new add ins or other similar changes around the time it stopped working?

Upvote 0
Howdy - I've had the same issue. After googling, I found this link that sovled the problem for me. I was running Google Drive File Stream and had an option checked to show if users were in files editing them. I unchecked that option and it solved the problem for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back