"pause" recalc while user enters data into combo b

Barq

Hi!

I have a quick question:
I have a worksheet with a combo box that users can select values or enter a value. This value is then passed to a UDF that does a bunch of lookups. There are about 200 cells in the sheet that calls this UDF.

My problem is that everytime I try to enter a value (they are strings) into the combo box, Excel recalcualtes after EVERY alphabet that I enter!!!! This makes the spreadsheet really slow... any suggestions on how I can make Excel wait until I hit enter or something?

Thanks!!!

(BTW, my UDF uses application.volatile set to true , but when I tried to pass the linked cell of the combo box to the UDF instead and the same problem remains)

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
This suggests that you have some code using the 'Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()' event. Need to check and change it to a button.

Upvote 0
Hi Brian,

the codes are in the worksheet where the combobox is. it's a UDF that returns a value that is found on a bunch of other sheets based on the value return by the combobox.

There is nothing in the combobox change event sub. Although I have tried to use the lenght of the string to set application.calculation to false and then back to true again. But since some of my strings are only 3 characters long, this doesn't really solve the problem for longer strings.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi,

anyone who can help with this question? any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back