Pay Scale bands and plotting employees - HELP

beachley

Hi - So I currently have a pivot chart with floating bars of the pay scale for each position. The position (job title) is listed on the x-axis. I would then like to have an xy scatter plot with a point within each of those bands of where the current employees in those positions fall. I believe because the position is listed on the x-axis is a text it will not let me create a combined pivot chart.

Is there any way to get around this? Or has anyone else created a similar chart?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I don't think it is an XY Scatter plot you need, but a line chart (just plot the points, not the lines in between). A XY scatter chart is where you have two sets of figures, for instance temperature vs time. Line chart is where you have figures for entities, for instance salary and employee.

So you should be able to combine these in a graph. I would refer you to the website of Jon Pellier where you can find just about anything on combining graphs. Jon's Excel Charts and Tutorials - Index

Upvote 0
I believe I need an XY Scatter plot because we have numerous people with the same job title and by using the line chart I cannot have numerous points within one of my floating bars. I have used Jon's tutorial on something similar (Salary Chart: Plot Markers on Floating Bars - Peltier Tech Blog) however, when I try to paste his points like he does it does not work. I am using Excel 2016. My end goal is something similar to what Jon created in this post.

Upvote 0
"It does not work" is a broad and vague symptom. Could you describe in more detail how the tutorial does not work in your case?

I will suggest however that if you're plotting data from a pivot table, by default Excel gives you a pivot chart, and a pivot chart is limited to plotting all the data in the pivot table, and no data from outside the pivot table is allowed. It is possible, however, to build a regular Excel chart from pivot table data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back