.PDF Embedded Object

MikeDBMan

I have a .pdf embedded as an object in an Excel Spreadsheet. I use a .pdf reader called Nitro PDF. I was told with their new version 6.x I would be able to configure so that their program would open the objects instead of adobe reader. It is unfortunately not a simple association issue as .pdf files are already associated with Nitro PDF. I have contacted their support but thought I would see if anyone here has a solution as I don't know how good their support is. Thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Mike,

sorry, just want to be real clear what is the question? the imbeds are opening with acrobat? or are you gettgin an error. if an error please provide details. thx

Upvote 0
I am not getting an error. The embeds open with Adobe reader and I wish them to open with the Nitro PDF reader instead. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mike,

thanks for the update, sorry should have also asked what version of windows and excel are you using? i am thinking it may be file association / DDE related. don't know a whole lot about nitro but took a quick look on their site. is it possible that nitro is registered to EDIT in the file association action and acrobat is registered to OPEN?

Upvote 0
Uninstalling Acrobat Reader might work.

Upvote 0
mike,

suggest you try the other post about uninstalling acrobat, then try opening the imbed. It will either ask you to pick an application to open the file, in which case you should be able to select Nitro and check always use this application, or it will bomb out. If it bombs/goes no where, you should reinstall Nitro. If that doesn't cover it, post back and we'll go through some other steps.

matt

Upvote 0
I uninstalled Adobe reader and tried opening a .pdf file. Got an error (discussed below). So I uninstalled Nitro and reinstalled it. I got the same error: Cannot start the source application for this object. Here is an interesting note: the objects are embedded thusly:
=Embed("ArcoExch.Document.7","")
If I embed a .pdf as a "Create from File" option on the Insert Ribbon, it launches as a Nitro document just fine, but I worry that others using this file who do not have Nitro PDF would not be able to open the embedded object. The objects embed as: =EMBED("Package","") when they open successfully with Nitro.
When someone else shows up at work who does not have NITRO, I'll ask them to try to open one and if it is okay, I will assume all is well except I can't read the first type of embed any longer. Suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back