Percentage calculation

rosner

Hello all out there,

I am new here and have an important question about Excel. I am a basic user and know some stuff about Excel, but couldn't find any info on how to calculate percentages.

What I want to do precisely is following: I want to introduce different values into an Excel file and need Excel to calculate automatically a sum depending on a percentage(%) value. For example, that Excel calculates 160% on any sum between 50-499,180% on any sum between 500-4999 and 200% on any sum between 5000-unlimited! These sums will be in the same column so Excel needs to analyze the sum and automatically calculate the % or preferably even the sum & percentage on top.

Hope you get what I mean and I am gratefull for any support.

Regards to all

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi! Welcome to the board!

What do you want to do if the sum is less than 50? Are negative numbers possible?

Upvote 0
Hello and thanks for your quick answer! There won't be any sums less than 50 in my sheet! I suppose this is quite easy to do but one still has to know how ;)

Looking forward to feedback!

Upvote 0
Assuming sum in cell A1 (change as necessary), perhaps:

=A1*LOOKUP(A1,{50,1.6;500,1.8;5000,2})

Upvote 0
Hi rosner, too slow for Hotpepper :cry: . My solution's essentially the same but uses a table of values
Book2
ABCDEFG
350160%sum32007000
4500180%result896021000
55000200%
Sheet1

formula in E4 copied across

=E3*(LOOKUP(E3,$A$3:$B$5)+1)

edit: I'm assuming you wanted the percentage value added to the original figure

Upvote 0
Thenks for your quick feedback! I must admit that I can't quite figure it out! Is there any possibility of sending you the excel file so you can introduce the formula. Then I can check and understand how it works!

Kind regards and thanks so much for this help!

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I must admit that i still have the same problem to make % calculations in Excel! Is there anyone who would be so nice as to not only give me the formula but even insert it into a file so I can see what it look slike and so I know for the futur how to do it?

I know it is asking a bit much but it would be a great help! Really! If you give me a mailaddress or (for more discretion) put it on a place you can download it from....let6 me know!

I would be very gratefull!

Kind regards

David

Upvote 0
its easy to put the formula into your sheet, just highlight it and then press right mouse button and click copy, then select the cell where you want it to be and click paste,

if you sums are in column A lets say A1 to A10 copy Hotpeppers formula

=A1*LOOKUP(A1,{50,1.6;500,1.8;5000,2})

and first paste it into cell B1 or whereever you want the result to be

then select the cell you just pasted the formula in and copy it again, then paste into the other 9 cells, the formula will automatically change

HTH

Upvote 0
WoW! Thanks so much! And it worked! You guys all helped me a great lot!
You rock ;) And this site (forum) is the BEST!!!!

Upvote 0
Hi experts, by the way does this also work?

=if(a1>=50,160/100*A1,if(a1>=500,180/100*a1,(a1>=5000,200/100*a1)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back