Percentage problem

ecawilkinson

Hi,

I have not used Excel in a few years and am having a problem displaying a percentage correctly in a column of figures. I want cells that will show the percentage exactly as it is, no matter how many decimal places, e.g. if the cell content is 5 then I want to see 5%. if it is 5.1, I want to see 5.1%, if it is 5.12, then I want to see 5.12%.

thank you,
Chris

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
First select cell > then right click > format Cell > select percent > Select decimal 2 to 0 > click ok

Upvote 0
Percentage Problem

Hi,

I am trying to get a cell to show a percentage with a variable amount of places after the decimal, e.g. if the cell contains 1.23 then I want the cell to display 1.23% after formatting. However if the cell only contains 1 then I want the cell to display 1% after formatting. I tried right-clicking the cell then Format Cells...>Percentage and changing the number of decimals to 0 but that truncates to 0 decimals places no matter how many there are in the cell contents. I tried the custom formula #.#% but that show a trailing decimal point if the cell contains a whole number such as 5. Any help would b much appreciated as I have tried a few different ways and none of them worked. I'm sure the answer is very obvious, I just cannot see it.

thanks,
Chris

Upvote 0
Re: Percentage Problem

First select cell > then right click > format Cell > select percent > Select decimal 2 to 0 > click ok

Upvote 0

I have merged your two threads together. Please do not post the same question multiple times. All clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread. Per forum rules, posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted (rule #12 here: Forum Rules).

Upvote 0

Hi,

your answer does not work. If you select 0 decimal places in the Format Cells...>Percentage section then that is what you get, all the time no matter how many decimal places there are in the cell. I want a variable number of decimal places. For examples. if the cell originally contains the number 1.23456 then I want it to display 1.23456% after formatting, but also if it contains 1.2 then I want it to display 1.2% after formatting, then also if it contains 1 then I want it to display 1% after formatting. Your reply simply does not work in all these different situations. It truncates to 0 decimal places no matter what the cell originally contains.

Upvote 0

What is the maximum number of decimal places you may have?
Let's say it is 9. Then you could use this Custom Format:
0.#########%

That would give you pretty close to what you want. The only caveat is that numbers with no decimals, like 1%, would be displayed as 1.%

The only other way I can think of to give you exactly what you want would probably require VBA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks, Joe4. I was afraid that that might be the case. I did try your suggestion and, as you say, it leaves an unwanted decimal point if there are no decimal places, at all.

Upvote 0

Are you open to a VBA solution?
If so, can you tell me which rows/columns these percentage values will be entered in?

Upvote 0

You can do it with a bunch of Conditional Formatting rules. For example, if your column is E, and the values are all percentages, select column E and format it as Percentage, 0 decimals. Then select column E, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > and enter: =LEN(MID(E1,FIND(".",E1)+1,99))=3 > then click Format > Number tab > Percentage > 1 decimal place.

Now add another rule for as many digits as you think you'll have, changing the 3 and 1 to 4 and 2, 5 and 3, 6 and 4, etc.

Kind of clunky, but it works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back