PERSONAL workbook

McTam

Board Regular
Every time I open an Excel file I have another sheet open called 'PERSONAL'. I have no idea where this blank workbook comes from. Could anyone please tell me a) what it is, and b) how do I get rid of it? I am very new to the site so forgive me if my etiquette is not quite correct.

McTam

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
You personal.xls is a kinda scratch workbook that opens each time you start excel... it can be used to store macros. It's located in

C:\Documents and Settings\'your profile'\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\Personal.xls

This workbook is usually created when you record a macro and save it to personal. Just a note if you save any workbook to the XLSTART directory it will open automatically when you start excel.

Upvote 0
Hi McTam

Following on from what wongm003 said, you could get rid of it by deleting the file altogether (eg via Windows Explorer), but it will be created anew if you subsequently record a macro and choose to save down in your Personal Macro Workbook. Normally, Personal.xls is hidden (hence you don't see it when you open up Excel, although you can unhide it by Windows>Unhide). It isn't really a problem and is actually incredibly useful - it sounds like at some point you have unhidden it and then saved it down so that it opens up visible when you start Excel. If you activate the workbook and choose Windows>Hide then close Excel (and click to Save changes to Personal.xls) it will open up hidden the next time you start Excel.

Best regards

Richard

Upvote 0
Thank You very much for that it has been driving me mad. I did indeed try to create a macro but not being too good with Excel I obviously didn't do it correctly (although the macro did run)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back