questforexcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello People,

I have two questions:

1) I would like my formula to pick a value which may fall within a specific range of data.
For eg. a specific data point : 026

to be picked from the following data sets of:
005-075
077-090
091-100

I would like my vlookup function or any other formula to pick "026" from the range of "005-050" as it falls in this bracket. How do I do that?

2) I have 3 -4 columns of these data ranges (005-075, 077-090 etc) and corresponding cost values.
How do place a vlookup formula for a search item such that, if the data is not available in the first column, it should reference from the next set of columns and match their cost values.

Meaning I want it to search such that Vlookup(026,"range set",1,0) if not in 1 then vlookup(026,"range set",2,0), if not in 2, then vlookup(026,"range set",3,0).

Could you please help me out with these.

Thank you

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
If I understand you, you can use IFERROR to determine when a value is not found in a lookup:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range1,offset,false),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range2,offset,false),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range3,offset,false),"Not Found")))

Upvote 0
That would help solve the second bit.

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Would you know on how to make excel pick a value between a range of values as in for eg. how to pick 6, from the range 1-10 and then take its corresponding cost value.

Thank you

If I understand you, you can use IFERROR to determine when a value is not found in a lookup:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range1,offset,false),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range2,offset,false),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(value,range3,offset,false),"Not Found")))

Upvote 0
If you change what you are looking up, possibly a 'Cost' sheet with values 1 thru 10 each with the desired cost; you could even combine the other tables in a similar manner and have one lookup to the cost tab that would include all the values and their associated cost.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back