Pick random cells

coldsteel404

Hello,

For my research paper I have a list of 156.000 dogs and owners. I'll give an example

First name last name Street number phone number
John Do Excelstreet 1 xx-xx-xx

Some names however are doubles (people who own more than 1 dog) and for the research I only want single values.
So how can I pick random names and I want the other information as well so I can call them for the research. I can't handpick them, it has to go fully at random so my research can't be influenced by external factors. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Yes the counta is to return the last data. Are there any columns that are complete? If so use them. If not you could use an array formula like this one:

=RANDBETWEEN(1,MAX(ROW(C1:C200000)*(C1:C200000<>"")))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
ASELECTTUSSEN(1;AANTALC($C$1:$C$160000))Well, this time I didn't get an error, but I got #name in every cell so not quite there yet :(

Also tried the formula with just 16 numbers ASELECTTUSSEN(1;AANTALC($C$1:$C$16)) since I was certrain the frist 16 are complete and it still didn't work

Upvote 0
Does this help?

Als deze functie niet beschikbaar is en de fout #NAAM? als resultaat wordt gegeven, moet u de invoegtoepassing Analysis ToolPak installeren en laden.

Upvote 0
The analysis toolpak is in file-options-addins. You need it enabled I presume that was saying in dutch.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back