Pivot Chart from table - sort on non-graphed column?

sophie619

Hello there, this seems like it shouldn't be too tough, but I'm not coming up with anything in my search.

I asked this in another forum a couple of days ago and have not received any responses: Pivot Chart from table - sort on non-graphed column?

We have many sales people in 4 different regions. They have base salary and commission, the sum of which is their total pay.

Column headings are as follows:
names - region - base - commission - total pay
Pivot table shows
Names - base - commission - total pay (based on a selected region)

We want to filter by region, sort by total pay (high to low), and just show the graph for those sales people (maybe top 10 or 20 or whatever in each region). Graph should be a stacked bar chart with just the base and commission (b/c when they are stacked, they add to the total). However, when I try to do this, it tries to also graph the total pay column as another portion of the total in the stack.

Is this something that can't be done with a pivot table/chart? Would it be easier to use VBA to accomplish this?

Appreciate any help.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
If base, commission and total pay are separate fields, then you can't do it with a pivot chart - they always plot all fields. If Base and Commission were items in a 'Pay Type' field, then you should be able to do it because the pivot chart wouldn't plot row totals even if they were displayed in the table.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can specify that as a sort order for the Name field and also filter it to show Top 10/20/however many automatically.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back