Pivot table and changing headers

welshwonder

Hi,

I have a pivot table which will remain the exact same size and shape. The headers are based on a formula and change depending on that. This has caused a problem with my pivot table as it doesn't recognise any new header names. Is there a way of getting this to work (the headers can not be static).

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Why do your headers change? If you change field names, you will break the pivot and have to recreate it, although that can be automated if necessary.

Upvote 0
Why do your headers change? If you change field names, you will break the pivot and have to recreate it, although that can be automated if necessary.

They are months (not dates, format M1, M2, M3 etc) which change depending on a user entry elsewhere in the spreadsheet i.e. they are formula based on entries elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I thought that I'd post my own fix up here just in case anyone else needs it in the future.

I changed my approach slightly to include a static timeline in the base data with the dynamic timeline in a row above it. The Pivot Table data area only inlcuded the static timeline (i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 etc in place of months etc).

I created the pivot table as normal and then added a row above it which included a formula to lookup the dynamic timeline from the static one. I then hid the static timeline in the Pivot Table and formatted the lookup row with the dynamic timeline in line with my Pivot Table. This works and most users would be none the wiser.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back