Pivot table averaging issue/question

Stephen.R

I have a complaints spreadsheet which records complaints over the year by customer, week number/ date, type of product, sub type, the type of complaint, and whether it has been accepted or rejected.
The current pivot table works absolutely fine - see attached showing all complaints for type UHT.

As you can see there are 4 types of complaints in that week - Appearance, Packaging, Packaging (Leak), Texture.
The column this is pulling from is a free field text so over the year the same type of complaint can be written in different ways.
To improve this it has been set to a list.
However as this was a free text field there were sometimes as many as 3 separate complaints on the same product -
e.g. Blown, Mould, Packaging (cap) etc.
As such two other columns were added so that all complaint 'types/ reasons' related to the complaint could be recorded.

I thought this would be a simple addition to the pivot table of the two other columns but instead it sub totals them and counts them as each individual occurrence of the complaints against said product type that week:
e.g. Packaging - Appearance - (blank)

Any help would be appreciated, its driving me round the bend.

Attachments

• Current Complaints Pivot.png
    Current Complaints Pivot.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Revised Complaints Pivot.png
    Revised Complaints Pivot.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
If someone can point me in the right direction even that would be brilliant too, just everything I search for seems to lead to the wrong thing.

Upvote 0
Your original question is hard to follow - in what way does it subtotal the two other columns, and in what way does that not give you what you want?

Upvote 0
Your original question is hard to follow - in what way does it subtotal the two other columns, and in what way does that not give you what you want?
Hi Gennn,
Apologies for the confusion. I have attached a link to a stripped out version.
If you look at the second tab you can see the pivot table that pulls through all complaints.
However as the information is pulled from three columns rather than summing all instances of a type of complaint with each sub category of product it separates that count out to each column

Mock Limited Customer Complaints 2022 WIP.xlsx

Upvote 0
If you mean that you want the 3 Reason Code Descriptions to be counted as if they are one field, then transform the table into a list before generating the PivotTable.

Attachments

• CapturePTMrX.JPG
    CapturePTMrX.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back