PIVOT TABLE BASICS

Ginger

How do I "refresh" data on a pivot table? If I make changes to my original spreadsheet, and format of Pivot table doesn't change, how can I see the new titles, or data? Do I have to run it again?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean but can't you just right click and then select refresh data.

If you have added new raw data you might have to change the range the pivot table is based on.

Upvote 0
I believe if you are changing numbers within the range you defined in the pivot table, you can just right click and refresh.

If you are actually adding rows or colums of data, then the pivot table will be blind to them until you change the range settings (via Pivot Table wizard). Also, you'll need to go into the layout and let the pivot table know that you want to add the new data to its display.

Basically, I think you're right, it's nearly as easy to just make the whole pivot table over again.

If you're adding columns and you don't have any data for the rows, you could always put a column title and leave the rest of that column blank. Then select the area including that column for the pivot table but choose not to display its data until you've got data entered for it.

Also, if you insert rows/columns inside of the range you've already defined, you can use refresh to get the new data. For instance, if you've chosen A1:D10 for your range and you want to start a new column, instead of adding it at E, insert a column somewhere between A and D, then the pivot range will expand and when you hit refresh, you'll se the new column has been included.
HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back