Pivot Table Blank Cells

DDAZET

I have a pivot table that compares year-on-year sales data for accounts. If an account didn't have sales for the earlier year, the custom calculation errors #DIV/0! which I can show as <blank> at the account level. Problem is at the subtotal levels, I also get the error when I should be getting a value for the group. The error for the one account is affecting my subtotal.

Is there a way I can Show Empty Cells as a VALUE instead of TEXT of say... 0.001 so I can eliminate the error messages?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to MrExcel board.

I found this so see if it helps - I haven't checked it out
"If you look at the pivot table options properties, you should see a check box that says "For Error Values Show" and then a textbox that you can put in what you want to show if there is a error."

Upvote 0
Thanks texasalynn. I can Show Errors as <blank> at the row level. My problem is when I subtotal the column that has an error in it, the subtotal errors out also. So what I need to do is create a false calculation on the blank cells to eliminate the errors on the rows and allow my subtotal to correctly calculate.

Upvote 0
Thanks again, texasalynn.

The solution you suggested is not usable. My problem is when I subtotal the column that has an error in it (blank or otherwise), the SUBTOTAL errors out also where there should be a value.

What I want to do is replace Empty Cells with a miniscule VALUE to totally eliminate the errors so that my Subtotal will calculate correctly.
<!-- / message -->

Upvote 0
did you not see in the properties example there is a place to also but in the value for blanks?????

Upvote 0
Yes, I've used that property before. However, whatever I put in the comes through to the table as TEXT not as a VALUE. Text doesn't calculate. I need it to be a true value.

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I figured out how to eliminate the error messages in my pivot table. Errors occured in my Calculated Field for my variance,
(Actual-Plan)/Plan, when Plan = 0. I inserted two new columns in my data called Numerator & Denomination.

Numerator: if (Actual-Plan = 0, then 0.0001, else Actual-Plan)
Denominator: if ( And (Actual-0,Plan=0), then 0.0001, else if (Plan=0, then Actual, else Plan)) Result = no zeros

Calculated Field: Numerator / Denominator

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back