Pivot Table Cache

sstrachan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
All,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Hoping for confirmation. If I create a Pivot Table in Excel from a file. Does the original Data set need to remain with the new Pivot Table as a separate sheet, or is the data kept in a Pivot Table Cache so that I delete the original data sources. Example is Sheet1 original data Sheet2 Pivot Table based on Sheet1 data.<o:p></o:p>
My concern is space. I am dealing with very large files, and if I can send just the final product in a Pivot Table, it would reduce the overall size of the file, but I want to ensure that the integrity of the file is not compromised, and that the end users will still have full functionality of the PivotTable.<o:p></o:p>
Any information or clarification would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>
Scott

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I don't work with pivot tables a ton, so don't take what I say as final, but I just set up a little mini pivot table. Deleted the data, closed the file, re opened, and I was still able to rearrange the fields and all calculated correctly. I presume you could do the same.

Obviously any changes to the data would not be reflected. You won't be able to refresh the data.

Also obviously, You should still keep all of the original data, but the end user may not need the raw data.

Also, if you have many pivot tables, try making sure when they use the same source data that you are not creating the tables from scratch, but rather using the data from an existing pivot table.

Upvote 0
Thanks, for the response. I have tried the same, and it appears to work. I can't find it conclusively stated anywhere. I am aware that if I make changes to the data set that it wouldn't be reflected, but I currently have a 30 mb file, that could be 1/2 the size as long as the integrity is not compromised.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I update the file every month, so I'd just keep the master file with data, and post a new PT to the end users each month, just change my data source; they really don't want to see the raw data, just the more formatted cleaner version.<o:p></o:p>
If anyone can conclusively say that the data (in its current form) will remain, then this is perfect. I just need to ensure that if someone saves the file on their pc (each file does have a different name), and goes back in a month or two the PT will still be functional and will have full integrity.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks again,<o:p></o:p>
Scott<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back