Pivot Table Calculated Field

deand

I have created a pivot table that looks like this:

Training Program Total Number of People Assigned Number of People Already Completed

I need to show the percentage acquired (completed/total number)

I know this should be simple, but I'm not very skilled in pivot tables and I'm really struggling.

Can anybody offer advice?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Welcome to the forum.

Are your Number fields using the Count function? Assuming they are, you can't use that in a calculated field - they always SUM. You would need to add 2 new columns to your source data with 1 for each row (so you can sum it to get an overall count) and 1 for those rows that are completed. You can then create a calculated field that simply divides one by the other.

Note: I am making some assumptions about your data layout - it may be possible to simply use the display options for the completed field to show it as the % of the total.

Upvote 0
Hi Rory
Thank you for your response! I'm not sure if I fully understand how to do this.
I currently have 2 column values (as you guessed above), Count of Assigned, Count of Completed
I tried to add these same items as values with 'sum of' instead, but I got really weird numbers (6 assigned became 0' 5 completed became 211552).

Upvote 0
You will need to add two new columns to your actual source data. One of them should just return 1 for every row. You can then add that to the pivot table and sum it to get an effective count. The other column should return 1 if the row is completed. Then, again, you can sum this to get a completed count.

Once you have those two new fields in the pivot table, you can create a calculated field that divides the new completed count by the new total count.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back