Pivot Table Calculated Fields

OllieKP

My source data is in Power Pivot, pulled directly via SQL, and I have measures that calculate over 20 days, 10 - 20 days or under 10 days. These are based on a calculated column that categorises each line accordingly (from a Task age column).

I want to create a pivot table that shows max task age and a count of under 10, 10-20 and 20+ records. The issue I have is if I use the measures in the values section of my pivot I can get the front-end look I want, but when I double-click a record, e.g 20+ for Cat 1 it gives me the data for all the age ranges for Cat 1, not just those over 20 days.

If I use the calculated column (Task category) values in the columns area of the pivot I get the look I want, plus clicking a record gives me the filtered data, but I can't include the max task age as it tries to categorise it under the columns field.

Any guidance on how to make measures only present the relevant source data when in a pivot table, or how to make a measure not be sub-categorised by a column area in the pivot would be greatly appreciated.

Team / CategoryUnder 1010 - 2020+Total
Team 1
Cat 1
Cat 2
Cat 3
Cat 4
Cat 5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Fazza

MrExcel MVP
welcome,

One way with a pivot table - any pivot table, doesn't need power pivot - is instead of the calculated field functionality via the normal worksheet interface to create the field within the dataset from the database.

Such as, the current dataset is defined by "SELECT * FROM database_table"

Instead use "SELECT *, IIF(Task_Age < 10, "Under 10 days", IIF(Task_Age < 20, "10-20 days", "20+ days")) AS TaskAge FROM database_table"

Some ways this can be set up starting either with the pivot table wizard ALT-D-P and choosing external data source at the first step, or, ALT-D-N-N and follow the wizard. Either way, at the last step take the option to edit in MS Query & via the SQL button edit the SQL to add the field to the dataset.

regards, Fazza

Last edited:

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NatashaGillWH

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...