Pivot table calculated item as new data in the source data tab?

biguggs

Hi,

I have a pivot table with about 12 columns and 50,000 rows in a tab. I want to created a weighted sum across a few different items for a given institution in a given year (e.g. Item A*2 + item B + Item C in 2000 for institution A and again for institution A in 2001, and so on for Institution A and all others in all years). I use a calculated item in my pivot table and it works okay, except that it slows my computer down to a crawl. I have found that my computer runs quicker if I create new data in the source data tab and use this, rather than creating a calculated item. It adds extra rows to the source data, but seems to be the better option.

My question is: Is there a way to create a calculated item and have this data exported directly to the source data tab?

At the moment I am copying the data to another spreadsheet, making the calculations, and then inserting the appropriate descriptions in the columns (e.g. institution, year, description of the calculated item).

Thanks,

Peter

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back