Pivot Table: “Cannot Group That Selection” error

steveski

Board Regular
I have a data entry sheet with a column titled “Start Date”. This column contains only dates.

I have a Pivot Table based on the data entry sheet. In the Pivot Table “Start Date” is a Column Field. Start Date is also used as the data field (Count of Start Date).

I clicked on the “Start Date” In the Column Filed area and selected Grouping by Month & Year.

While I was developing the spreadsheet, I used some arbitrary dates in the Start Date column, and the grouping worked fine. Then I brought in a column of dates from the ‘real’ data entry sheet, and now the grouping is not functional (“Cannot Group That Selection” error).

Can you tell me some possible causes of this error?

Thanks.

Make sure that

a) there are no empty spaces in the data
b) all the dates are real dates (You can check that by changing the format in the database, and if there are some dates that don't change, they need to be "converted" to numbers again)
c) try creating the pivot table again.

Hi, JPG, I tried "changing the format" using cell formatting (e.g. "short date"), but no change took place.
A curious thing: there are dates that are right justified (they are the real dates; e.g. 1/14/2013) and the exact same looking date 1/14/2013 only LEFT justified which is NOT the real date. Double clicking on the "non date", then moving the cusor to another cell converts the non left justified date to a right justified real date. Question: How can I convert non dates to dates "en masse"? I have 39k entries! Thanks.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi, JPG, I tried "changing the format" using cell formatting (e.g. "short date"), but no change took place.
A curious thing: there are dates that are right justified (they are the real dates; e.g. 1/14/2013) and the exact same looking date 1/14/2013 only LEFT justified which is NOT the real date. Double clicking on the "non date", then moving the cusor to another cell converts the non left justified date to a right justified real date. Question: How can I convert non dates to dates "en masse"? I have 39k entries! Thanks.

To do this, select the column containing the dates, choose the "data" menu in the ribbon, and click "Text to Columns." Leave the selection as "Delimited" and press "Finish." This should have the same effect as manually double-clicking each cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back