Pivot Table Compatibility Issue from 97-2003 to 2010 version

purplegardener

? So what is it now....
It sounds like it is trying to maintain the previous version format. Changing the extension doesn't guarantee the conversion to the new format.
In the following link see the section "Convert a workbook to the Excel 2010 file format" (also applies for 2013.)
https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/use-office-excel-2010-with-earlier-versions-of-excel-2fd9ffcb-6fce-485b-85af-fecfd651a5ac#bm4
Since you indicate Macros exist in these workbooks, be careful and maintain a separate copy. I have not tested what happens to macros when converting files.
Currently, the file was converted over to 2010 as an "xlsm" file. I did convert it following the link that you attached. But if I go to File/Check for Issues, this is where it tells me there is a compatibility issue with pivot tables. Should I just ignore this if I used the "convert" option to changeover my file?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

SpillerBD

But if I go to File/Check for Issues, this is where it tells me there is a compatibility issue with pivot tables. Should I just ignore this if I used the "convert" option to changeover my file?
Yes, ignore it. It should always give that warning because a user with 2003 or 2007 can still open the file (with the compatibility install) and view it, but won't be able to work with any parts of the file based on the newer format.
I don't use the compatibility checker unless I know for certain I'm sending a file to someone who has problems seeing or working with a file. Even then I'm inclined to just say "get the update dude!" I've been up-to-date since 2010 (now with 2013 and testing 2016) using the subscription service.

purplegardener

Yes, ignore it. It should always give that warning because a user with 2003 or 2007 can still open the file (with the compatibility install) and view it, but won't be able to work with any parts of the file based on the newer format.
I don't use the compatibility checker unless I know for certain I'm sending a file to someone who has problems seeing or working with a file. Even then I'm inclined to just say "get the update dude!" I've been up-to-date since 2010 (now with 2013 and testing 2016) using the subscription service.
Ok, great. Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully now, our IT updates our Excel more frequently in the future. This update was kind of painful.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lewas2019

This Week's Hot Topics