Pivot Table - Filter at Parent but not Child

66Lambretta

Hi - Not sure how to explain what I am trying to accomplish, so I'll take a stab at it and hope for the best.
I am trying to to put together a table that would display all people that worked on projects with a specific individual over a period of time. So, in this image, I have a consultant named David J., and I would like a list of all projects that he has worked on, which is easy to do with a filter. The problem is that if I filter on his name either at the top "Parent" level or on that second child level, the table will only show his name in the 2nd child table. Instead of just showing his name and only his name in that 2nd child table, I would like to show all of those that worked with him on the project. In the image below., David J.'s team was Jean C. and Kate J. I would like to see all of David J.s projects and all of the team members in a single pivot table.
Pivot Example 360.png

I don't know if a Pivot Table is the right solution. I'm intermediate with Excel in terms of my skills. Any suggestions? Please let me know if you would like clarification. I'm on my street corner trying to satisfy the

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi, may we see a sample of your raw data? A few rows will do.

Upvote 0
Hi, may we see a sample of your raw data? A few rows will do.
Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been trying to keep up with an onslaught of requests. The data would be similar to what is in this screenshot.
Annotation 2020-03-13 155004.png

Each row is reflects a week of time entries for a project by the individual.
Again, what I'm trying to do is get the following:

Consultant A (The focus of the report)
Project 1 (A project s/he worked on)
Consultant A (because s/he's on the project)
Consultant E (because s/he is also on the project with the focus of the report)
Consultant M (because s/he is also on the project with consultant A)
Consultant R (for same reasons as E, M and R)
Project 55
Consultant A
Consultant D
Consultant M
etc.

The net of what I'm trying to accomplish is doing a report on all time entries in a quarter, reporting on what projects Consultant A worked on, but also with all of the people in each project that Consultant A worked with. I included hours on my first example because that would give us a good idea who worked with Consultant A for a significant amount of time on any given project. The end result is I want to come up with a list of people who worked with Consultant A so that we can select whom we would like to solicit feedback from. Since we're talking hundreds of people, doing it manually would be too cumbersome.

Absolutely grateful for any assistance you might be able to give!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back