Pivot Table, Format Days Grouped into Weeks as "mmm-dd" of the First Day of that Week

bpiereder

Originally posted on Excel Forum, but I haven't had any responses so posting to OzGrid and MrExcel.

My data has these headers:
Date, Customer, User, MyNumber

The MyNumber column shows the number of things (doesn't matter, that's not the real header) that the User has for that specific date. Any quantity of Users for a Customer.

I have multiple Pivot Tables that show different things:
1. Sum of MyNumber of all Users from a certain Customer, by Month
2. Sum of MyNumber of all Users from a certain Customer, by Week
3. MyNumber of each User from a certain Customer, by Week

Pivot Tables 2 and 3 share a data cache while 1 is separate (for date grouping purposes).

I've displayed the data from each table in three different Pivot Charts showing the progression of MyNumber over a period of time. Having grouped the dates in Pivot Table 1 by month, the Chart conveniently shows just the month in the format "mmm" (which is exactly what I want).

Here's where I've hit a snag...

When grouping the dates of Pivot Table 2 and 3 (the weekly charts), it becomes formatted like "yyyy-mm-dd - yyyy-mm-dd" where the first date shown is the first day of the week and the second is the last day of the week. This doesn't translate nicely to a Chart as even if selecting only a few months of data, the axis grid labels have to be at an angle and are still quite long. I'd rather format it like "mmm-dd" taking just the first day of the week and ignore the middle and last days... But I don't know how. I have a formula that will format it the way I want:
=TEXT(DATE(LEFT(C1,4),MID(C1,6,2),MID(C1,9,2)),"mmm-dd")
But you can't use a formula like this as a Custom Number Format to my knowledge. I'm not sure what else to try.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Further research leads me to believe this is impossible, though I'm no expert. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back