Pivot Table issue - what am I doing wrong?

wolfster

Hi All

I am running Excel 2002 (10.6501.6626)SP3. My problem is as follows.

How does one create an extra row in a pivot table where one can perform a calculation, I could do it on an earlier version of Excel, but can't find that option here. In the earlier version, the option was create calculated field/item

I need to do this:
the one row contains items sold.
the next row contains return items
the third row must contain the return percentage (return items/items sold)*100

Any ideas.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I have Excel 2000 rather tha Excel 2002, but it may be the same. Right click in the Row field and choose Formulas|Calculated Field.

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew

Thanks for getting back to me! I afraid I don't see that. I must be a complete ignoramous if I'm still missing it, I don't see it. I checked Excel help, but this was not too helpful
How can they consider a customer calculation when one cannot specify exactly what one needs. In a previous excel version it was a **** breeze :0) I can't believe they left it out???

The following functions are available for custom calculations (custom calculation: A method of summarizing values in the data area of a PivotTable report by using the values in other cells in the data area. Use the Show data as list on the PivotTable Field dialog for a data field to create custom calculations.) in data fields (data field: A field from a source list, table, or database that contains data that is summarized in a PivotTable report or PivotChart report. A data field usually contains numeric data, such as statistics or sales amounts.).

Function Result
Difference From Displays data as the difference from the value of the Base item in the Base field.
% Of Displays data as a percentage of the value of the Base item in the Base field.
% Difference From Displays data as the percentage difference from the value of the Base item in the Base field.
Running Total in Displays the data for successive items (item: A subcategory of a field in PivotTable and PivotChart reports. For instance, the field "Month" could have items such as "January," "February," and so on.) in the Base field as a running total.
% Of Row Displays the data in each row or category as a percentage of the total for the row or category.
% Of Column Displays all the data in each column or series as a percentage of the total for the column or series.
% Of Total Displays data as a percentage of the grand total of all the data or data points in the report.
Index Calculates data as follows:
((value in cell) x (Grand Total of Grand Totals)) / ((Grand Row Total) x (Grand Column Total))

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew

**** sure it helps! Thank you kindly! If you ever head on down to Cape Town/South Africa, drop me a pm, I owe you a coupla beers!

Cheers
wolfster

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back