Pivot Table “Muscle Memory” Problem

Gian624

Board Regular
I am somewhat of a novice with Pivot Tables. One problem I am having that no one seems able to help me out with is that when I update and refresh my pivot table, it seems like it has a muscle memory with the drop down choice boxes.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
For example:
Lets say I have three customers that I have labeled 01 Target, 02 Walmart and 03 Bed Bath and Beyond. If I want to change 01 Target to 02 Target and 02 Walmart to 01 Walmart, it works in the pivot table and shows the proper data but if I try to choose the customer from a drop down box, it remembers the customers as labeled as they were before I made the changes AND the current look.
<o:p></o:p>
I will see: 01 Target, 02 Target, 01 Walmart and 02 Walmart in the drop down box but the data will only show up in the pivot table associated with the proper customers as they are labeled in the data source.
Does anyone know how to make it so the drop down choice boxes only show what the data source says and how to clear out the “muscle memory” so I don’t have to rebuild the pivot table every time I make an adjustment?
Thank you so much!!
Matt

I have excel 2003. I am trying to create a pivot table but it shows count instead of sum, which I need. How do I change this to reflect the sum of the data? (Thought I considered myself intermediate with Excel but the more I play in it the more I discover I'm definatly a beginner!!) (sorry i cant figure out how to make a new post) :confused:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello akeys11,

Welcome to the Forum.

In the table below
Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
11Sum of Actual HoursPeriod QuarterPeriod MonthWeek
122009-Q2Grand Total
14Resource NameTask NameProject Name
Resources by Manager
Excel 2003
Actual Hours is the data in the body of my table.
When I double-click Sum Of Actual Hours the dialog box lets me choose how I want to summarize the data, Sum, Count, Average, etc.

Upvote 0
Thank you Alex,
My Pivot is in fact sensitive and if I tried to modify it so it could be public, I'd probably end up with something that worked from your suggestions so I'll leave my post at that. All your suggestions have been much appreciated and they have worked in other examples we have tried... just not this one specific pivot.

Thanks again so much,
Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back