Pivot Table Newbie

Davidns

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am just starting to get into Pivot Tables, and have a few questions:

1) Can I create Pivot Charts that do not correspond identically to the data in the Pivot Table? For example, I have a Pivot Table with two fields, but only want to see a pie chart for one of the fields. Unfortunately, it seems like every time I change a field designation in either the Pivot Chart fields or Pivot Table Fields, it updates the fields chosen in the other as well.

2) What is the best practice to do math on a pivot table? Should I just create a column next to the pivot table and enter the formula? I tried that but noticed that you can't just copy down a column with accurate results, so it seems like there is a better way.

3) I will be exporting data from my CRM on a regular basis, and want the pivot table, pivot charts, and any math (as described above) to always be the same. What is the best practice to accomplish this? My first thought is to cut and paste the exported data into the main worksheet and replace the page with the new data, but wondering if there is a better way. I would obviously prefer not to have to recreate the pivot table, charts and math every time I export.

Thanks - sorry for the elementary questions. Just trying to get a handle on this. If anyone has a suggestion on how to get a better overall understanding of these kind of issues, please direct me to the best source.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
1) The table and chart are linked - just create separate pivot charts as you require
2) Try using a calculated field to include the maths in the pivot table -depends on exactly what you want to do
3) I use a table for the pivot table source , then you can copy and past the data into the table , and use refresh ALL to update ALL the pivot tables/charts

Upvote 0
Excellent. Thanks very much. I think I am getting the hang of it all now. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back