Pivot Table of a Teacher's Gradebook

psdbenj

I'm trying to make a pivot table that summarizes a teachers grade book of letter grades. Each column of the gradebook contains a different assignment. So far, I have to make a pivot table for each assignment. Dragging more than 1 assignment title into the row or column fields area of the pivot table makes it confusing to read. The only solution I can come up with is making a really long spreadsheet and displaying each assignment below the previous assignment. What am I missing. Surely, there must be a way to summarize a teachers gradebook of letter grades with a pivot table.
Thanks,
Ben

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi, Ben.

I think the solution you found is the best way. The original data set up is non-normalized and changing to normalized is the way to go - it will make all data handling easier.

regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
Thanks Fazza. Now the next question: Is there an easy/good way to normalize a teacher's gradebook? Teachers would kill me if I asked them to enter their assignment grades by adding a new row for every assignment instead of working across the spreadsheet. Probably have to step up to Access for this one.
Thanks for your help,
Ben

Upvote 0
Yes, Ben, it would be best if the teachers don't have to change what they do. If that layout is (understandably) much better for them, set up the rest of the spreadsheet to suit.

There are two basic choices, either have another worksheet that has the normalized data OR have some SQL do the work. The SQL approach might be unnecessarily sophisticated (though if there were not too many columns could be good solution), so, elect to take the extra worksheet route.

The idea being leave the current worksheet for data entry, have a new (maybe hidden) worksheet that has a copy of the data except in a normalized format and then the pivot table running from the normalized data. VBA code can create the normalized data, say on deactivation of the data entry worksheet, and update the pivot table.

Can you provide a sample of data?

How many columns and rows are there?

regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, they are both variable. i.e. The number of students in each class varies and the number of assignments in each class varies too. But, I think I get the idea. Unfortunately, I don't know VBA but I think I can record a macro that would do the trick. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd love to see sample VBA that would automatically copy the first column of student IDs (say 30 students) and the associated assignment (say from 3rd and 4th column) of the traditional teacher gradebook. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions so far. If I'm pushing my luck with this last request, let me know.
Thanks,
Ben

Upvote 0
Ben,

A variable number of rows & columns is expected. I was mainly wondering if there are 50 or 50,000 rows, for example. And 20 or 200 columns. Just to get a feel for the scale of the task as it might influence the approach. (If there is a very large amount of data I would go for the SQL approach - straight from the source data to the pivot table without the extra worksheet.)

To write any code is infinitely better with some sample data. Can you provide some sample data, preferably a screen shot sort of image like exist in many threads?

Cheers, Fazza

Upvote 0
Okay, here's a sample. Again, much appreciated!

excelscreenshot.gif

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't see the image, Ben, just a place holder and then

I don't know why I don't see the image - could be security setttings where I am; maybe others see it OK.

There is a sticky thread at the top of each page that has info on posting HTML to show worksheet info. Maybe you can try that?

Or otherwise explain in words if it is as simple as it should be. Such as the first row has headers and they are exactly "teacher", "student", "assignment1", "assignment2", "assignment3", etc and the data is immediately underneath. That is, data from cell A2. "teacher" and "student" are text entries and then there are grade entries in the other cells.

F

Upvote 0
As he/she is linking from his/her hard disk, nobody can see said images save possibly for him/her. I second using one of the HTML makers.

(yay for gender ambiguity)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back