Pivot Table Question

Xenoun

Board Regular
Hello,
I've recently discovered that a pivot table solves a problem I had with organising data, but i'm new to using them and don't know what kind of functionality it has.

I have a column of left 'L' values and another column for right 'L' values. I'd like the pivot table to have another column which averages these two columns, and also a column which calculates the difference between them. Is it possible for a pivot table to do this or do I need to grab the data from the table and calculate it separately? Everything i've found by searching doesn't seem too clear.

Thanks for any help

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
That seems to explain how to do calculations on fields, which is more than I was thinking the pivot table could do...but it wont work in my situation.

Because i've used the pivot table to sort my data, I need to perform calculations on "Values" rather than what is in the fields themselves.

To try and explain it further:

My data has two sides, Left/Right. There is also a date corresponding to each entry
The pivot table has the date going down the left in rows, and the sides field is a column..displaying Left and Right along the top. I then put "L" in the Values section, and the pivot table has L values for the left side in one colum and the L values for the right in another column. I then need to calculate the average of each pair of L value data, aswell as half the difference between them.

I'll keep reading in case i've missed how to perfom calculations on the values rather than the fields themselves.

Upvote 0
If the pivot will show the info, you can always calculate outside the pivot, just reference the values

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back