Pivot Table - Sort by Year Without Grouping

Jamsandwich

Hey guys,

I've generated a pivot table with dates as Row Labels. The source data has several entries for each day so I've had to group the Row Labels by day.

This has had the effect of taking out the year from the dates (now dd-mmm). So when the data goes back beyond the beginning of this year, last years dates are automatically sorted to the bottom of the dataset.

I know that I can group by year too, but this adds rows that I don't want (I have another table being generated from the pivot table rows, important that row data remains as is).

Is there a way to group the rows by day while retaining dd-mmm-yy format? Or can I get the year to appear in a seperate column rather than a row?

Excel 2010.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
If you have the pivot table in tabular layout you will get a new column. Is your other table linked using formulas?

Upvote 0
Oh wow, that was easy.

Yeah, my next table's first column is "=PivotSheet!B5" with the row number changing for each row of course. This is a table that allows me to produce Statistical Process Control charts.

Having the year in the same column screwed up all the formulas. Didn't realise I could switch to a different layout though. Never actually used a pivot table before, great tool.

That fixed it. Thanks once again Rory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd suggest you use GETPIVOTDATA formulas instead - then it won't matter what the layout of the table is. The syntax is a little trickier than a simple cell link, but it's more robust.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back