Pivot Table Summary Issue

gbecky3

I have created a Custom Summary by Indicating in the Layout portion that a field "Measure" should be summed - this works fine and gives me a summary below the data, but the problem is that there are 10 different items withing a measure so for;
Membership, yes I want a total, and Admits I want a total, but for the Admits/K I do not want a total, I want a calculation (Admits *1000/Membership"
How can I change the fact that it is summing and put my own calc in.

data looks like this.

State Measure
ID Membership 204.7
Admits 1
Admits/K 19.5
OR Membership 78.3
Admits 1
Admits/K 51.1

So my summary data is totaling up
Membership 283 (this is what i want)
Admits 2 (also what I want)
Admits/K 70.6 (don't want a total, want to do a calc here)

it won't let me add a calculated item to the summary area giving me an error "Can not change this part of a PivotTable"

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
ok so I'm not sure how you were doing that but I was able to get it to work. First on the pivot table you would click on the drop-down measure and unclick your admits/k. Then go to the pivottable toolbar and click on the drop-down PivotTable, select formulas - calculated item. Type in a name, then double click on the "Admits" type *1000/, then double click membership, click add and OK.

HTH

Upvote 0
couldn't get that to work, it just gives me a bazillin fields of the wrong data. I already have the calculated field Days/K - the value in that field is correct so lets say for Oregon the Days/K are 4.5 and for Washington the Days/K are 9.0 - what I am looking for is at the bottom I need a summary, so not a total but the formula would be Oregons Days plus Washingtons Days then divide the sum of Oregons and Washingtons membership...

it is confusing to explain, but i really appreciate your time in trying to help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back